Re: squid 2.2 STABLE1 and TCP_MISS rate

From: Greg Tillman <GTILLMAN@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 10:26:59 -0400

At 12:51 PM 4/23/1999 +0100, David J Woolley wrote:
>See also my ~100% Misses thread.
>
>Which version of squid did you upgrade from and did you try to carry
>over the old cache (assuming it was a 2.x version)?

I didn't upgrade, I re-installed, so I'm not having exactly the same
problem, although the 100% Misses thread is interesting, thx.

In fact, I think my problem is that I was using Netscape's refresh to test
things, and that seems to generate a TCP_MISS/304. Testing things again
this morning with multiple computers yields much more understandable
results. (I'm sorry to seem like I don't know what's going on, but of
course I don't know what's going on, I just use squid very happily and
ignorantly most of the time.)

Still, I have one more question.

From the refresh speed, I suspect I'm getting a cache hit when I do a
'refresh' from Netscape, even if it is recorded as TCP_MISS/304. It sure
seems like the refresh is too fast to be going back to the server. Is this
mis-recorded, or is there some part of the doc I haven't read closely
enough that says this is really a hit?

Thanks for everybody's help.

- greg tillman
university of maine at farmington