Re: LFU in squid

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 23:21:14 -0600

On Sat, 24 Apr 1999, Friday wrote:

> Does it possible to implement an LFU in the Squid ?

Yes, it is. It is possible to implement virtually any algorithm. :)

> How many modules of program will be involued ?

Depends what kind of LFU you are talking about. The one that keeps counters
for objects that have been purged from the cache would require more
modifications and buffer memory. A simple "memoryless" form of LFU should
be somewhat easier to implement. You are looking at modifying garbage
collection module, I guess.

Note that as far as I know Squid does not support pure LRU. Garbage
collection happens on per-bucket basis. If you want to implement pure LFU
(global order of objects), and you care about efficiency, you will need to
create your own optimization indices and such...

$0.02,

Alex.