Re: Siblings fail to get some sites from parent.

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 28 Apr 1999 19:42:57 +0200

aj wrote:

> I keep getting this error message on some sites only when using a
> sibling cache.
> TCP_MISS:NO_DIRECT_FAIL in the sibling access.log.

0. You may have confused the terminology somewhat. I think what you are
talking about is child caches (caches using another cache as parent).

1. For this error to occur, the child cache needs to have never_direct
enabled for those requests.

2. Most likely caused by ICP timeouts. If this child only has one parent
try specifying the "no-query" and "default" options on the cache_peer
line in the childs squid.conf.

You may also try my peering patches which is an attempt to clean up the
handling of ICP and TCP timeouts in peerings, and to make Squid a little
more insisting on finding a parent when never_direct is used. My patches
are available from <http://hem.passagen.se/hno/squid/>. This may be of
interest, especially if you have more than one parent.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker