Re: maximum HTTP connections

From: TFC WLAN 97/98 - IST - ext.2269 (8418269) <wlan@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 16:07:13 +0100 (WEST)

On Thu, 29 Apr 1999, Alex Rousskov wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Apr 1999, TFC WLAN 97/98 - IST - ext.2269 (8418269) wrote:
>
> > I think the main limitation for a squid/linux is the maximum
> > HTTP/TCP connections suported. So, is 100 permanent connections
> > a reasonable number? How about 1,000? Or 10,000 ?
>
> > PS: level 4 switching with Alteon. Current traffic ~ 16Mbps.
> > Machines ~ 512MB RAM, 3 x 9GB SCSI, on Linux or FreeBSD.
> > Tests already made indicate about 300 permanent HTTP connections.
>
> I do not now what a "permanent connection" is. Squid can support a few
> thousands concurrent connections and about 100req/sec on a tuned decent PC.
> Squid can support more than a couple of thousands concurrent connections,
> but things will start to slow down because of the select-loop overheads.

thanks.

What I meant with "permanent connections" is the number of
simultaneous HTTP connections that the machine is expected
to have.

I expected this to be more of an OS limitation than a Squid
limitation, or maybe a combination of both... Anyway, 100req/sec
and more than 1000 concurrent connections is interesting.