Re: how does squid work?

From: David J Woolley <djw@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 1999 17:30:41 +0100

> How can i forbid the usage of my Squid as an anything-proxy, except for the
> http traffic? I mean, i wanna have a http-only proxy.

Don't add the code in the first place. Squid is not an anything
proxy, it is an HTTP proxy with support for gatewaying FTP to HTTP
and for tunnelling SSL. You can disable the tunnelling by disabling
the CONNECT method, and disable FTP by a pattern match on the ftp:
scheme. (CONNECT, if misconfigured, could create an almost anything
proxy.)

PS Squid is really a cache; if you use it purely as a proxy it might
not be the right tool.

--
David Woolley - Office: David Woolley <djw@bts.co.uk>
BTS             Home: <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>