Re: Tranparent Proxy on --Help

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 01 May 1999 11:30:24 +0200

gyan prakash wrote:

> What I understand is that..Squid server is always
> listening at port 8080(or 3128) and if some layer 4
> based router forward all traffic to squid port 8080
> then squid will listen to it.
> Router does the job of forwarding (and NAT,) the
> packets to squid for port 8080. Once squid receives at
> port 8080 then it should work it as it does incase of
> forward proxy.

Yes, if you have a external NAT device doing the required address
translation then you do not need any at the host.

However, be warned that such a setup can have a hard time supporting old
clients not sending Host headers. There are two possible configurations
that do indeed work fine:
a) A NAT device for which there exists interface code to Squid to allow
Squid to query the NAT device what the real destination address is.
b) If the router/switch has a HTTP proxy module which does the required
request translation and not only address translation. The required
request translation involves 1: If the request has a Host: header,
reconstruct the URL using this. 2: Else use the destination IP address
when reconstructing the URL.

> If this is not true then can please explain me. As I
> am confused with FAQ....

Does the FAQ contain any detail information for when using a external
NAT device?

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker