max_obj_size question - 2.2.2-STABLE2

From: <Ted_Rule@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 14:09:33 +0100

After a few tests, I've found that trying to perform HTTP based file downloads
of items greater than some 4MB seems to fail

Perusing the squid.conf, I came across this , which seems to be the culprit.....

# TAG: maximum_object_size (bytes)
# Objects larger than this size will NOT be saved on disk. The
# value is specified in kilobytes, and the default is 4MB. If
# you wish to get a high BYTES hit ratio, you should probably
# increase this (one 32 MB object hit counts for 3200 10KB
# hits). If you wish to increase speed more than your want to
# save bandwidth you should leave this low.
#
#maximum_object_size 4096 KB

However, the wording seems a little unclear to me - the way I read:

"Objects larger than this size will NOT be saved on disk"

is that squid will proxy the request, but never save the result to disk.

What actually seems to happen is that the download proceeds as far
as retrieving some 4MB and then aborts.

Am I missing something, or is this actually a bug?

Ted Rule,

Flextech Television