RE: hotmail caching

From: Nottingham, Mark (Australia) <mark_nottingham@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 13 May 1999 11:49:36 +1000

Yes. There was some discussion about this in the HTTP-WG right before the
final draft was released, but it was too late to do anything about it.

This came about because some caches did honor Pragma: no-cache as a response
header, and it caught on a bit (much as Proxy-Connection did). The proper
header sequence is:

Expires: [some time in the past]
and:
Cache-Control: max-age: 0
or:
Cache-Control: no-cache

Expires catches the 1.0 caches; I believe max-age:0 is preferred, for some
reason.