security of proxy authentication

From: Peter Polkinghorne <Peter.Polkinghorne@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 14:57:44 +0200

I have been wondering if there is any way of securing the Proxy authentication
passwords?

Presumably not - since the bowsers just supply in clear - from my reading
of the documents.

Has anyone come up with any clever schemes?

We have 20,000 users - so a separte password for web access is not on.

The only other route I can see is the ident daemon - which is OKish for
hosts we control but is no good for Halls of residence PCs.

| Peter Polkinghorne, Computer Centre, Brunel University, Uxbridge, UB8 3PH,|
| Peter.Polkinghorne@brunel.ac.uk   +44 1895 274000 x2561       UK          |