Re: squid-2.2.STABLE2 & memory leaks

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 16 May 1999 20:31:20 +0200

jlewis@lewis.org wrote:

> Memory usage for squid via mallinfo():
> Total in use: 206120 KB 97%
> Total free: 9547 KB 4%
> Memory accounted for:
> Total accounted: 89936 KB
>
> It knows that it's using more than 213MB, but it says 89MB accounted for.
> What's up with that? I was under the impression that Linux's malloc was
> pretty good. Should I try dlmalloc?

"Total in use" is how much memory Squid has allocated.
"Total free" is "overhead" caused by your malloc package.
"Total accounted" is how much of the allocated memory Squid knows what
it is used for.

When "Total free" grows large then is it time to look for another malloc
package. This does not seem to be the case here so you do not need to
look for another malloc package.

When the difference between "Total accounted" and "Total in use" grows
large (or when when Total accounted grows huge), then is it time to look
for Squid bugs. So you and a couple of other who have reported similar
symptoms are most likely experiencing a Squid memory leakage causing
Squid allocate more and more memory over the time.

No known fixes at this time as far as I know, but keep an eye on the
Squid 2.2 bug list available on squid.nlanr.net.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker