Re: Trouble of Squid2.1PATCH2

From: Chris Tilbury <Chris.Tilbury@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 09:19:54 +0100

On Fri, May 21, 1999 at 04:34:33PM +0900, Shigeru Matsumoto wrote:

> My inode configuration was 8192Byte/inode as follows.
>
> itcproxy# newfs -Nv /dev/dsk/c0t1d0s7
> mkfs -F ufs -o N /dev/rdsk/c0t1d0s7 17682084 133 27 8192 1024 256 1 90 8192
> t 0 -1 8 128
>
> I set 7GB of cache directory. Probably it exceeded.
>
> Now I'm thinking of quadrupling the number of the files as a following
> command.
> #newfs -i 2048 /dev/dsk/c0t1d0s7

I don't think you are running out of inodes at all. What do these commands
show:

root@bluebell [diskcol]# /bin/df -b /proxy/cache/disk01
Filesystem avail
/dev/md/dsk/d0 3460335
root@bluebell [diskcol]# /bin/df -e /proxy/cache/disk01
Filesystem ifree
/dev/md/dsk/d0 2094739

when you change "/proxy/cache/disk01" to the name of your cache directory.
8192 bytes per inode should be more than adequate. It's what my cache
filesystem is configured with (34Gbyte metadevice with over 2 million
objects in it).

I think it's far more likely that you've been hit by a combination
of factors. Your filesystems are probably very fragmented and are
"prematurely" full, even though df thinks that space is available.
Compound this with the fact you probably have your swap_log on the
cache filesystem, and you have the reason for your problem. Squid not
only has a full cache filesystem but it also can't write to the
swap_log. Whilst squid can cope with the cache filesystem itself being
full, if it can't write to the swap log then it's stuffed.

Read the Solaris "system dependent wierdness" section of the FAQ,
specifically the part which explains how to tune your filesystems to
minimise the effects of fragmentation. You may also want to consider
moving your swap_logs off the cache filesystems, although you will
need to be careful not to re-order the cache directories in your
squid configuration file. If you do, then the wrong swap log will end
up being used for them.

Cheers,

Chris

--
Chris Tilbury, UNIX Systems Administrator, IT Services, University of Warwick
EMAIL: cudch+s@csv.warwick.ac.uk PHONE: +44 1203 523365(V)/+44 1203 523267(F)