Re: How to configure in order for clients to use TELNET and NEWS GROUP?

From: Juergen Leising <a0037@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 11:02:54 +0200

On Fri, May 21, 1999 at 02:40:48PM +0800, ywwang@hnit.edu.cn wrote:
> Hi Squid-users,
>
> My squid 2.1 works well in our network except that my clients can't use
> TELNET and NEWS GROUP services to anywhere. Would you please tell me
> how to configure it to provide these two services?
> Thank you very much.

Hi,
squid is not able to handle telnet or nntp; (cf. users guide, first section)
ut there are several possible solutions:
- installing socks additionally
- installing own newsserver; allowing telnet login at gateway
- allowing ip_forwarding (your users can get out of your LAN as
usual - only http is forced to use squid for caching reasons), perhaps only
for nntp and telnet (btw telnet can be replaced by ssh)

Bye, bye, Juergen.

* Juergen Leising; email: juergen.leising@stud.uni-bayreuth.de *
*          http://www.stud.uni-bayreuth.de/~a0037/             *