Re: Squid 2.1.RELEASE, Digital Unix, and 'disk write error'

From: Chris Tilbury <Chris.Tilbury@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 26 May 1999 13:15:05 +0100

On Wed, May 26, 1999 at 12:39:40PM +0100, Mike Meredith wrote:

> I'm having occasional problems with a Digital Unix machine running Squid
> 2.1.RELEASE. When the cache filesystem (using Advfs) reaches about 82%
> used, Squid decides to repeatedly die with an error in the cache.log
> file as follows :-
>
> 1999/05/26 09:44:07| diskHandleWrite: FD 38: disk write error: (5) I/O
> error
> FATAL: Write failure -- check your disk space and cache.log
> Squid Cache (Version 2.1.RELEASE): Terminated abnormally.
>
> There is no sign of any problems with the disk in any of the system log
> files. Has anyone encountered anything like this ? And has an answer ?
>
> Would I be better off using UFS ? Upgrading Squid ? (I intend to do that
> anyway).

Take a look at

http://squid.nlanr.net/Squid/Devel/ADVFS.txt

to see why ADVFS is a bad idea for a squid cache.

Note also that the reason squid is crashing is because it can't write
to your swap log file. If you move this onto another filesystem, then
squid won't crash in this way, just reduce its idea of how much space
it has available (although it will crash if this other filesystem
fills up!)

Be careful if you have multiple cache_dirs doing this though. If you
re-order them in your configuration for whatever reason, you'll wind
up with the wrong swap log being used for the wrong cache directory.

Cheers,

Chris

--
Chris Tilbury, UNIX Systems Administrator, IT Services, University of Warwick
EMAIL: cudch+s@csv.warwick.ac.uk PHONE: +44 1203 523365(V)/+44 1203 523267(F)