Re: Problem running Squid under FreeBSD 3.2

From: Simon Rainey <srainey@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 12:25:48 +0100

Hi,

Thanks to all those who made suggestions. Using gdb I discovered that the
floating point exception was generated by the line

x = (double) (store_swap_high - store_swap_size) /
        (store_swap_high - store_swap_low);

within the function storeExpireReferenceAge() (file = store.c). This looks
pretty harmless to me providing a division by zero doesn't occur.
Apparently FreeBSD enables floating point exceptions by default, whereas
Linux does not. Perhaps there's an underflow or something.

The fix was to #include <floatingpoint.h> in main.c and add the line

fpsetmask(~(FP_X_INV | FP_X_DNML | FP_X_DZ | FP_X_OFL | FP_X_UFL | FP_X_IMP));

in the main() function. This disables floating point exceptions for the
Squid process.

Simon.