Re: Problems with peer misses after 2.1P2 to 2.2S3 upgrade.

From: David Malone <dwmalone@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 22:44:06 +0100

> Looking at the difference betweeb 2.1P2 and 2.2X I notice that there was
> a important bug fixed in 2.2.: A 2.1.X remote peer did not obey to the
> staleness limits set in the request (using Cache-Control: max-age=X), so
> yes it has been changed. Squid 2.2 is much more sensitive to differences
> in refresh patterns than Squid 2.1 was. This restores the behaviour of
> earlier (1.x) Squid releases. The 2.1 and 2.0 behaviour is incorrect.

Hmmm - so that means that a group of peers who want to enforce a peer
relationship must all have the same max-ages? Otherwise miss_access is
useless for enforcing peer relationships?

To fix this either the ICP request has to be able to express things like
max-age, or miss_access has to allow people to fetch things which ICP
said it was OK to fetch. I had a quick look at the ICP documentation
that comes with squid, and it looks like ICP has no way to express the
max age of what it is interested in. I guess this means squid either needs
to determine miss_access in a different way, or needs another option called
miss_access_if_icp_said_hit?

        David.