Re: FAQ 11.31 Netscape https bug

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 28 May 1999 20:09:58 +0000

connell@nettools.usps.gov wrote:

> Are there specific versions of Netscape which have this problem?

When discovering the bug, Netscape told me that it was fixed in their
upcoming release. There has now been several releases of Netscape since
then, so it should be fixed in the later Netscape 4.0x and 4.51 or later
(4.5 does not work). I have not verified which versins that has the bug
and which ones that doesn't.

> Where can I get information about the browsers? My workmates
> say there is no info at the Netscape site.

Netscape has been very quiet about this bug.

> I am told that the user only gets an error when they are using our
> squid2s2 for proxy (error never reported while we were using
> 1.1.20). I am also told direct connections do not produce an error.
> Does this mean that the server is able to properly negotiate the ssl
> connection?

The Netscape bug is only triggered by persistent connections. Squid 1.X
did not use persistent connections.

> I am unable to produce the error myself.

It is very easy: Open a http site which links to https pages, then
quickly click on an https link (maybe they need to be on the same
server, but I think not).

The workaround is also very simple: Make sure the configuration for
"Security proxy" differs from the other proxy settings. Changing case of
one (or more) letter is sufficient, using a different port or host name
is easier to support.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker