Squid not resuming failed download

From: Andre Dietisheim <dietisheim@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sat, 29 May 1999 11:12:43 +0200

Hi!!

I have noticed a strange behaviour of squid (Version:2 Patch 2... i'll try
the latest right afterwards) that is running on my Linux-box (Proxy for a
LAN using Masquerade + Squid and a Dial-up modem).

If a user tries to download a file (FTP or HTTP, doesn't acutally matter)
and the dial-up-line is cut the partial download remains in squid's cache
and is sent (the unfinished, partially downloaded file!!!!!) to all
subsequent users that want to download that specific file.... squid doesn't
delete that unfinished download out of his cache neither does ist resume
that download when the dial-up-line comes up again or another user wants to
download that file... the result is that all users that want to get that
file get stuck with a download that just hangs (no software crash... the
browser / FTP-client just waits for data that is not coming) just where
the line was cut....

Has Anybody any idea how to fix that???

I thought about using the 'TAG: no_cache' or just disabling the proxy for
FTP, but that is not the proper solution...

Thanx for any hints!!
Andrew