RE: Filehandler on 2.2.6

From: Julian Richardson <JRichardson@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 1999 12:01:41 +0100

>> I'm installing Squid 2.2ST3 on my new Slackware 4.0 box. I'm running the
>> kernel 2.2.6 recompiled.
>>
>> When I'm running ./configure it says:
>> checking Default FD_SETSIZE value... 256
>> checking Maximum number of filedescriptors we can open... 256

Hmm, I'm just in the process of upgrading kernels to try to sort out
exactly the same problem. I've just rebooted into kernel 2.2.9 and am
currently compiling squid; that's reporting max numbers of
filedescriptors as 1024, so you might want to upgrade your kernel a
little further.

FYI, it looks like the squid source gets its FD info at least partially
from the running kernel, not the kernel source tree (shame in a way as
it means a system reboot and then downing squid to make the changeover
rather than doing everything in one step, but I suppose it does make
sense... still waaaay less downtime than doing anything similar on an NT
box :*)

cheers

Jules