Re: ANNOUNCE: A free Identd for WinNT (Useful with Squid)

From: Chris Dillon <cdillon@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 2 Jun 1999 18:34:05 -0500 (CDT)

On Wed, 2 Jun 1999, Pål Marius Baltzersen wrote:

> Our Identd is a free basic implementation of RFC931/RFC1413 for Windows NT.
> Basicly it returns the user id of the current user to any RFC931 formatted request to port 113/tcp.
>
> It
> is free
> runs as a NT service (i.e. daemon)
> looks up the current userid dynamicly form the registry
> needs no configuration
> is easily installed
> has no silly graphics
>
> Identd can be used as a trivial light weight authentication service against web and proxy servers like Apache and Squid.
>
> Its home page is http://info.ost.eltele.no/freeware/identd/

I found a great identd server for Win9X that seems to work just fine
on NT too. I have it automatically installed (or copied, actually) on
all workstations via a logon script, and it is totally invisible
(under NT I can see it in the Process Manager, but not Task Manager).
By default it is not invisible, but with the right command-line
options, it is.

Grab it at:
 http://www.acs.ucalgary.ca/~mmastrac/home.html

I helped fix a minor bug with this client where it did not place a
CR/LF on the end of an ident request as it should have, which also
exposed a bug in Squid which also got fixed. :-)

-- Chris Dillon - cdillon@wolves.k12.mo.us - cdillon@inter-linc.net
   FreeBSD: The fastest and most stable server OS on the planet.
   For Intel x86 and Alpha architectures (SPARC under development).
   ( http://www.freebsd.org )

   "One should admire Windows users. It takes a great deal of
    courage to trust Windows with your data."