Linux file descriptors

From: Ben Bullock <bullock@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 1999 10:23:34 -0400

I'm new to this list and feel very reluctant to be asking a question
that I know has been asked before, but I have searched the squid
archives, read the FAQ, searched dejanews, etc. for an answer and
cannot find one that works. I've tried many, many things suggested in
correspondence found in these locations, but without success.

My problem is that even after patching kernel 2.0.36 (RedHat 5.2
system) with Michael O'Reilly's 'filehandle.patch.linux.v8.04' and
recompiling the kernel and also recompiling squid, I cannot get
squid-2.2STABLE3-1 to start with more than 1024 file descriptors.
During the configure portion of the squid compile I see these two
lines scroll by:

Default FD_SETSIZE value... 1024
Maximum number of file descriptors we can open... 8192

After compiling squid, include/autoconf.h shows:
/* Default FD_SETSIZE value */
#define DEFAULT_FD_SETSIZE 1024
/* Maximum number of open filedescriptors */
#define SQUID_MAXFD 8192

I've tried setting 'max_open_disk_fds 8192' in squid.conf and added
the line 'ulimit -n 8192' to /usr/sbin/RunCache. I've also done this
prior to compiling and running squid:
echo 8192 > /proc/sys/kernel/file-max
echo 32768 > /proc/sys/kernel/inode-max

Nothing I have tried can force squid to start with more than 1024
fds. It almost seems that the default FD_SETSIZE value is the
controlling factor and that all other variables and directives are
being ignored.

Can anyone who has solved this problem give me some assistance?
Thanks very much.

-Ben Bullock