Re: Listening on Multiple tcp_incoming_address

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 03 Jun 1999 22:14:13 +0000

Prasad HS wrote:

> The moment I added another line "tcp_incoming_address IPaddress2" ,
> squid daemon on my linux box died silently after few seconds . But
> without the second 'tcp_incoming_address' statement, my system works
> perfectly .

The distributed Squid currently only supports listening on one IP
address, or all.

I have a patch which implements a generic mechanism for listening on
multiple ip+port pairs. See my squid page
<http://hem.passagen.se/hno/squid/>.

But even if you do this, you must convince your OS to let Squid listen
on all addresses.

My guess is that you do not actually want to restrict which addresses
Squid listens on. If you leave tcp_incoming_address unset then Squid
will listen on any IP addresses enabled on the system, so if you have a
failover mechanism which moves the IP address to your Squid system then
Squid will listen to this as well.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker