RE: what is FLAPON & PROPFIND ?

From: Merton Campbell Crockett <M.C.Crockett@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 06:56:57 -0700 (PDT)

On Wed, 9 Jun 1999, Dave J Woolley wrote:

> > From: Henrik Nordstrom [SMTP:hno@hem.passagen.se]
> >

> > Not sure I fully agree. Properly used CSS acheives both goals: Gives the
> > author good control of layout and makes the information more structured
> >
> CSS is clearly a rearguard action from W3C to try and
> get HTML back on track. Unfortunately many people just
> cut and paste "cool" constructs without regard to structure
> (in fact very few people write properly structured MS Word
> either - some even tab around the end of lines to force
> newlines!)

Whether a rearguard action or not, my impression was that Microsoft was a
prime proponent of CSS 1 and 2. At least, until they decided to use the WWW
paradigm for the Windows desktop and discovered that they would either have
to "break" CSS or rewrite their applications.

It was a real pain to discover that instead of defining one common CSS style
sheet you had to define two. One for Internet Explorer 4 and above and one
for everything else. And, then, had to add a JavaScript routine to select
the correct CSS description.

I must admit it was easier to use a CSS style sheet to fix bounding box
discrepancies between Navigator and Internet Explorer. The big question is
whether or not XML will suffer the same problems.

Merton Campbell Crockett