Re: NT 4 Server

From: Tim Burgess <sybernetix@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 13:08:35 +1000

Hi!

> Has anybody had experience with exporting the NT 4 Server's users
> and putting them into the format of username:password, so I can
> use proxy_auth on squid?

This is why you would use SMB_auth, the package which was publicised on this
mailing list a little over a week ago. It communicates with the NT server
when the user authenticates, so the passwords are always up to date.

And theoretically no - NT will not disclose passwords 'in the clear' to
anyone, not even sysadmins. To do it your way you would have to write a
custom password changing script and store the passwords in a cleartext file
as well as tell them to NT.

Bad idea security-wise though.

Cheers,

Tim Burgess