Sibling and Parent Configuration

From: Merton Campbell Crockett <M.C.Crockett@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 9 Jun 1999 23:32:59 -0700 (PDT)

Due to frequent use of simple host names by users and split DNS, I found
that dnsserver came up with inconsistent results. On some occassions, Squid
would correctly use the system's internal address. On others, it would go
to the system's external virtual host. And, on some occassions, it would
not be able to find either address.

To resolve this problem, I plan to bring up a second Squid proxy that runs
on a system that is inside the firewall. I have defined "append_domain" and
"local_ip" on the second Squid proxy.

As the second Squid proxy only has access to the internal view of the domain
address space, this should result in Squid going to the internal Web servers
directly.

I defined the first Squid proxy as the parent and specified it as the
default. The second Squid proxy is defined as a sibling. I assume that
this along with the "local_ip" definition will result in the second Squid
handling all local requests and forwarding all other requests to the default
parent. Is this the correct interpretation? Will this also apply to any
FTP requests?

I want to have all SSL requests forwarded to the default parent. Do I need
to define anything more than "ssl_proxy"? Do I want to change the default
"http_access" ACL for SSL access?

Merton Campbell Crockett