Re: heuristic for server names

From: Chris Cappuccio <chris@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 18:35:36 -0700 (PDT)

On Fri, 11 Jun 1999, Kendall Lister wrote:

 | On Thu, 10 Jun 1999, Joe Laffey wrote:
 |
 | > One of the most annoying this about squid to me is that I cannot simply
 | > type in "apple" or "microsoft" to get "www.apple.com" or
 | > "www.microsoft.com"
 |
 | Well, one doesn't usually type anything into Squid at all... So, is it
 | perhaps your web browser that is not allowing this feature?
 |
 | We run Lynx through Squid and can use this feature of Lynx without
 | problems.

Netscape's DNS routines will look up 'www.host.com' if you just type in
'host' and there is no 'host' to be found.

However, if you tell Netscape to use a proxy server, it will let the proxy
server do DNS instead

lynx does DNS lookups either way.. IMHO this defeats the proxying feature to
some extent

-chris