Re: heuristic for server names

From: Joe Laffey <joe@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 08:12:35 -0500 (CDT)

On Fri, 11 Jun 1999, Dancer wrote:
> > When using Netscape if you simply type in "apple" or "microsoft" it first
> > tries to fetch "http://apple" or "http://microsoft" This request gets
> > sent to Squid. Squid then tries to resolve it and fails returning a DNS
> > error. MSIE seem to look up the host name first, then add www.*.com if the
> > lookup fails. (Never requesting "http://apple") Lynx does the same thing.
> > That is obviously superior behavior. However, the majority of users still
> > use Netscape (I do NOT wan to start a browser war...) Therefore I'd like
> > Squid to have a little intelligence when presented with a URL with no
> > dots...
>
> IMO, if it's got no dots, it's a local address or a typo. Either way, I
> wouldn't want it looked up for me, since most times the algorithm would
> guess wrong for me. That's why I disable this feature when I install a
> browser.

I would have Squid first try to resolve the URL as entered. If it was a
local address it WOULD resolve and the user would be presented with that
page. Then It would go through a series of formats that the user could
configure in order in the conf file e.g. "www.*.com" "www.*.org"
"www.*.edu", etc. including foreign domain endings if the user put them
there.

This seems to give te best of both worlds. Local URLs are resolved with
no problems and other URLs are guessed at. For my users here www.*.com
would handle 90% of the requests...

Of course you would be able to disable this feature as well...

Joe Laffey
LAFFEY Computer Imaging
St. Louis, MO
http://www.laffeycomputer.com/
Your mouse has moved. Windows NT must be restarted for the change to
take effect. Reboot now? [ OK ]