Re: heuristic for server names

From: James Young <jyoung@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 1999 12:09:52 -0500

Hello,
If you want the browser to figure it out on its own, use proxy
autoconfiguration files. e.g.
           if (isPlainHostName(host) )
               return "DIRECT";
And the browser will be left to its own devices.

If you want to customize it, e.g. xxx -> www.xxx.com.jp or www.xxx.com.au,
then proxy autoconfiguration _might_ be able to handle it, and redirectors
definitely could.

These are easy enough to configure, and don't necessitate hacking around
Squid.

If you need resources on establishing a proxy autoconfig file, my netcache
links page (http://cs-sun1.truman.edu/~jyoung/netcache/links.htm - blatant
plug) has a couple of links; it's overdue for an update, but if you need
more information about writing .pac files or redirectors, just yell.
-james
The reply-to address of this message should be jyoung@cs-sun1.truman.edu.
If it is not, please send your reply there and let me know that it was
mangled.
Thank you.