Re: Performance question

From: Andy Dills <andy@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 22:41:16 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 14 Jun 1999, Alex Rousskov wrote:

> Getting 25 req/sec out of Squid is relatively simple. Getting 100-150
> req/sec is hard, and the success will depend on the hardware and amount of
> tuning.

So, considering this, why should I even consider squid? Why shouldn't I
just use peregrine?

The bakeoff had them, with a similar machine to the one I'm considering,
at 150+ reqs/s.

This level of service is what I'm looking for, but I want free :> Squid
and peregrine seem to be my only choices, and the numbers on peregrine
look better. So what is it that I get when I go with squid that I don't
get when I go with Peregrine? And likewise, how is it that some class
project is better than something that has been worked on by several people
for several years? Not trying to bust anybody's balls, just curious.

Andy

Andy Dills 301-682-9972
Network Administrator Fax 301-620-9634
Xecunet, LLC www.xecu.net
Dialup * Webhosting * E-Commerce * High-Speed Access