Re: Squid / Transparent cache killing Cisco cpu

From: Marc van Selm <marc.van.selm@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 09:08:04 +0200

At 01:40 AM 6/15/99 -0400, Brad Groshok wrote:
>Good evening all.
>
>I'm a new user to Squid and am having a problem with our Cisco 3640 router
>when running Squid. (Its killing the cpu)

[...]

>Router is connected to two upstreams
>one via a 100Meg full-duplex ethernet to UUNet
>second via 2 Full T1 loops to Sprint
>Running BGP4 and taking 2 full tables.
>Router has 128Meg ram, Version 11.2(11)P IOS
>Local traffic is delivered via another FastEther full-duplex to our Cisco
>2924XL switch.

Filtering in a 3640 is totally done by the CPU. Your 100Mbps uplink combined
with filtering is stretching the capabilities of the 3640 to the limit. BGP
also consumes CPU fast. So the only advice is (if you want to continue
transparent proxying) is go for 7000 series. Go for the fastest CPU module you
can afford. Filtering/redirecting on 100Mbps will require loads of CPU. I also
guess you want to be able to grow?

Marc

[...]

Marc
Marc van Selm
NATO C3 Agency
Communication Systems Division, A-Branch
Tel: +31 70 3142454
E-mail: marc.van.selm@nc3a.nato.int
Private: selm@cistron.nl, selm@het.net, http://www.cistron.nl/~selm

  Did you know that dolphins are so intelligent that within only a
         few weeks of captivity, they can train Americans to
       stand at the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.