Re: Running out of memory

From: Dancer <dancer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 00:10:49 +1000

Flavio Pescuma wrote:

> Hi
>
> Is there other thing I could try to make squid processes stop growing?
>
> I've recompile with GNU malloc but it didn't fix the problem.
> I've set memory_pools off but still squid grows much more than the upper
> limit I've set up

Yes, if you read the FAQ, the limit you set is only ONE of the items
squid uses memory for. If you're running linux, you can try dlmalloc
which is able to return memory to the OS pool before process termination
(unlike most malloc implementations).

Lower your upper-limit some, for starters. That limit refers to the
in-memory cache only, and squid does all sorts of other necessary things
with memory, chewing whatever it needs at the time. I have one
memory-starved machine with a memory cache set at only 100KB.

You can try reducing the amount of disk-space squid will use..Each
object requires about 100bytes or so for in-memory indexing. A 5GB cache
with an 8MB in-memory cache will eat around 55MB of RAM. RAM is cheaper
than bandwidth, though.