Re: SuSe linux 6.1 (Kernel 2.2.3) and squid-2.2.STABLE3 again

From: Dancer <dancer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 14:56:06 +1000

Helmut Thormaehlen wrote:

> At 19:36 14.06.99 +0000, you wrote:
> >Helmut Thormaehlen wrote:
> >
> >> I echo 8192 > /proc/sys/fs/file-max an 32768 > /proc/sys/fs/file-max
> >> and recompile squid. But it only works with 1024 Filedescription.
> >
> >To get more than 1024 filedescriptors, the kernel needs to be modified.
> >The recommended patch is Alan Cox patchset which amongs other things
> >allows Linux 2.2 to use close to any number of filedescriptors (the
> >limit is set by the ulimit command).
>
> Hello,
> Sorry, I find the patches in
> ftp://ftp.de.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/alan/2.2/ but I find no
> description how to handle this patches patch-2.2.5-ac1.bz2, ...,
> patch-2.2.5-ac7.bz2 under SuSe Linux 6.1, that install patches with *.rpm
> or *.spm.

I'm not about to start doing classes in this, however:

* The file has a bz2 extension so it's been compressed with bzip2, so
you'll need bunzip2 to decompress it.
* The 'patch' program takes patchfiles such as these, and applies them.
Go into the top of your linux source tree, and try 'patch --dry-run -p0
< patch-2.2.5-ac7 (the dry-run option will prevent anything from
_actually_ being done)
* If you get errors at this point, give up. I'm not prepared to do
detailed debugging, long distance.
* If reports no errors, you can try it for real. (same thing without
--dry-run)
* configure, build and install your kernel as normal (You _do_ know how
to do this, don't you? It's a fairly straightforward process if you've
ever read the docs on how to do it, or been shown it once, and (IMO) you
really can't claim to be linux-literate without this skill. Acquire it
if you don't have it)

++ I still don't think any of this will achieve the goal you think it
will, but that's none of my business.