Re: Force Users to use Proxy

From: Henrique Pantarotto <scanner@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 16:37:47 -0300

On Jun 16, 9:55am, Kevin Diffily wrote:
> Subject: Force Users to use Proxy
> I am interested in knowing how I can force client browsers on a LAN
> to use a Proxy Server for FTP and HTTP requests. Savvy users can
> always just change their browser preferences so this would require a
> server side solution.

Here we use a Linux box with ipchains. Then we forward all unauthorized
destination port 80 requests to local port 99.

Local port 99 has a stupid little C program, which runs from inetd that
shows a static HTML page explaining that there's an error.

So I use:

- ipchains to forward port 80 requests to port 99
- a "stupid" C program that prints an HTML page ("content-type:
text/html\n\n foo bar")
- an entry at your /etc/inetd.conf file and /etc/services so it will use
port 99

I can send you this with more details if you like..

Good luck!

Henrique Pantarotto
Coord. Técnico Operacional
CEPAnet Internet Provider