Re: unwanted users

From: Reuben Farrelly <reuben-squid@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 23:52:49 +1000

At Thursday 17/06/99 07:38 AM -0500, aj wrote:

> Is there any way to block a range of IP addresses accessing my squid
>server?

Yes, using Access Control Lists (ACL's) is the standard if not only way,
however it is generally considered good security practice to deny all IP's
access by default, and selectively allow addresses which _are_ allowed
access your cache. If you allow access to everyone by default and deny
selectively, you'll end up with a pretty massive list of deny hosts,
otherwise ;)

Check out the Squid FAQ, at http://squid.nlanr.net/Squid/FAQ/FAQ.html and
more specifically http://squid.nlanr.net/Squid/FAQ/FAQ-10.html for the
information which you'll _need_ to know to use ACL's. I believe this URL
has been posted to this list a number of times in the last 24 hours.

Reuben

Reuben Farrelly Sunbury, VIC 3429, Australia