Re: Read audio and video

From: Dancer <dancer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 07:47:04 +1000

Dave J Woolley wrote:

> > From: Unger, Christian [SMTP:CUnger@PSI.de]
> >
> > 1.) Is ther a way to block real audio an video??
> >
> Real audio and real video streaming modes don't use HTTP,
> so squid is physically incapable of passing them, so you
> need do nothing to squid to block them (you can, of course
> block the URLs which start the player, but there is nothing
> special about such blocks).
>
> If real media streams are getting through, you have a hole
> in your firewall, not in squid.

Incorrect, I'm afraid. Realplayer5/Realserver5 are capable of using
proxyable HTTP to transfer their streams. (It's all uncacheable of
course).

It's yet another app that generates URL's with unencoded spaces.

Yes, it can be blocked, there's a signature pattern. Look in the FAQ at
real.com, or whatever the heck they call themselves.