Re: SYN floods?

From: Jon Drukman <jsd@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 09:42:41 -0700

At 04:31 PM 6/24/99 , Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
>Squid may appear to SYN flood if a server refuses TCP connections. It is
>not a SYN flood per se as a TCP handshake actually takes place but is
>refused by the origin server. When a server refuses to accept a TCP
>connection Squid rapidly retries the connection a couple of times (max
>30) before giving up. During this Squid also cycles througth the known
>IP addresses of the host.

i just got two more complaints that squid is sending a flood of ident
requests (port 113) to people visiting our site. i definitely rebuilt
squid with --disable-ident-lookups. how can this be happening?

looks like i'm going to have to go through the code and manually remove all
the identd stuff. :(

Jon Drukman
Director Of Technology
GameSpot