Re: CANNOT determined long IP

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 1999 12:24:15 +0200

Joseph %J wrote:

> Sorry. But I would really access that address in windows 95 dos..
> here is the log
>
> D:\CWIN95>ping 3472744004

If you absolutely need to access hosts based on this undstandard and
depreated form using Squid then you probably have to code it yourself.
You have access to the source, and may do anything you want with it (as
long as you doesn't violate the GPL license)

I or other Squid developers won't do it since

a) It is unstandard and outside all specifications, with the exception
for a old and depreated note on BSD. The only reason why this works on
some browsers on some systems is because they neglected to read the
Internet specifications for URLs.
b) It does not work on all systems where Squid is used.
c) Only "bad" sites seems to use this address form. Probably as an
attempt to try to obscure where they are located, or get around security
limitations in some browsers (Internet Explorer has had bugs with this
format, thinking that the address belongs to the intranet zone and not
internet)

But if a Squid user makes the code for parsing such IP addresses, and it
is conditionally enabled then we may consider to include it.

Support for such "malformed" IP addresses can also be added with the
help of a simple redirector which rewrites the IP addresses to their
correct form. Preferably using a "browser redirect" to show the real IP
address to the user/browser.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker