Re: some linux tuning (fs benchmarks)

From: Alex Rousskov <rousskov@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 14:39:19 -0600 (MDT)

On Mon, 28 Jun 1999, Clifton Royston wrote:

> I think that Doug's suggestion was to measure file system performance
> independently, to be able to understand it as a limiting factor in
> Squid or other proxy performance.

Sure. My point was that unless the proxy-independent test mimics Squid
file system usage patters, it is pretty much useless (you are not
getting an asymptotic behavior, you are getting some constant that is
most likely not relevant to Squid). To produce useful results, one has
to go through Squid with a micro-benchmark or write a proxy-independent
benchmark from scratch.

Alex.