Re: automatic trying the other parent

From: assa <assa@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 10:47:26 +0800

Hello Thomas,

In your case, I guess you should try the round-robin feature if your
parents proxies is not squid or not accepting ICP. It will help your squid
to choose which parents are UP and pass the request to it.

We are using 12 proxies as our parents and siblings with the conf. like this :

cache_peer proxy1 parent 8080 0 round-robin no-query
cache_peer proxy2 parent 8080 0 round-robin no-query
cache_peer proxy3 parent 3128 3130 round-robin
cache_peer proxy4 parent 3128 3130 round-robin
cache_peer proxy5 sibling 3128 3130 round-robin
cache_peer proxy6 sibling 3128 3130 round-robin

We found that with the above conf. our proxy machine's working great, even
that we hold only 700 MB cache storage for squid and accepting +/- 100
request per-minutes :-)

The point is, our proxy machine will find it's way to use parents or sibling
and it will never pass user's request to the 'death' parent or sibling :-)

|assa|
http://proxy.wasantara.com