What Sized Machine Would Be Appropriate Where I Am?

From: Squid Administrator <squidmaster@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 18:20:24 -0400 (EDT)

        I work in a small University. We are currently using a 10mbit link
to the net to provide about 1500 faculty, staff and student lab machines
access to the Internet.
        This fall (IE when school starts in 6-7 weeks) every single one of
our dormitory rooms will be wired for Internet access, one port per
pillow. We expect that 33% or 50% of our students will bring PCs with them
to the dorm, so with a population of 2400 on-campus kids we're looking
at... a potential increase to 3700 net users.
        Campus network is a mixture of slow and fast ethernet segments
connected to an FDDI ring in some places, and 155 Mbit ATM in others.
        The question I have in mind is, given 3700 client machines, and a
10 Mbit pipe, what sized machine or machines would be appropriate
platforms for running squid for our campus ?
Jonathan Woodall
Information Technology Services
NC Central University
www.nccu.edu