RE: Real Time monitoring of users

From: Jens-S. Voeckler <voeckler@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 11:03:24 +0200

On Wed, 30 Jun 1999, Hogben, Ian wrote:

]I wonder if there is a program that could read the access log and give a
]regularly updated report of who's using the Internet within the last five
]minutes? Would this be a tough thing to code?
]
]Would it be a utility that could be provided with squid? Or is there anyone
]out there that wants good karma points...? :)

Try to contact Matija Grabnar (matija.grabnar@arnes.si) on this. He wrote
a tool which attached itself reliably to the logfile in order to extract
some information which are not available with the cachemgr interface. I am
sure the tool could be extended to look for clients (with most squid
configs, you can only see clients, not users).

When looking for clients, I use a small perl script just counting the
squid:port connections, e.g. look at:

        http://statistics.www-cache.dfn.de/Stats/

Le deagh dhùrachd,
Dipl.-Ing. Jens-S. Vöckler (voeckler@rvs.uni-hannover.de)
Institute for Computer Networks and Distributed Systems
University of Hanover, Germany; +49 511 762 4726