Re: Squid on SMP

From: David Luyer <luyer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 1999 21:50:43 +0800

> Thanks for your answer! Can you tell me what those performances exactly
> are? What is essentially increased like maybe the number of hits or the
> number of connections per second? And what is still the potential
> bottleneck maybe I/O, ...

Disk I/O is probably the main bottleneck, depending on how many disks you have
in the system and assuming you're not on an ultra high speed network where you
have to worry about saturating fast ethernet. It's unfortunate that Squid is
so CPU-hungry that making the system SMP actually helps... if it were more
lightweight then it wouldn't be so significant. However, all the features
are definitely worth it :-)

Note that Linux 2.2.x-SMP still doesn't improve the SMP multiple ethernet card
situation significantly (the place where Linux performs relatively poorly).
That's promised for Linux 2.4.x-SMP. However, Linux 2.2.x-SMP should
definitely improve your squid performance.

No figures/paper, sorry.

David.