Re: Httpd_accel, proxy, and localhost evil

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 1999 23:45:03 +0200

Mahlon Smith wrote:

> I've got a squid configuration almost straight out of the box -
> httpd_accel and proxy.
>
> Proxy works great, as does the acceleration.
>
> Here's my problem.
> If I am using the proxy, and I attempt to access the site that is being
> accelerated, I get the access denied.

This is because Squid loops back on itself when you try to proxy the
accelerated host..

Browser -> Squid Proxy -> Squid Accelerator [ -> Real server ]

Squid denies the request because it does not like to see requests from
itself.

Simplest fix is to use a redirector to rewrite proxy requests to match
the backend server name, like what httpd_accel_host/port does on
accelerated requests.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker