Re: Squid use/enhancement questions

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 1999 23:52:20 +0200

Bertold Kolics wrote:

> Hi,
>
> > That's led me to wonder - would it work out to add code to Squid to
> > store the non-transparent cached files under the numeric IP (which it
> > has to look up anyway, to query the server)?
>
> I agree with you that it would be nice to have such an option you
> described, but if it will be implemented, one should keep in mind that
> peering with other (non-transparent) cache servers will have no benefit at
> all, because the host part of URLs will be different.

Caching must be done on at least host names, or virtual servers will
break painfully.

Only cenario I can find where caching on the server IP is useful is a
transparent proxy which does not perform DNS lookups it self. Then
objects must be cached using at least destination "IP, Host header, URL
path" as cache key.

Squid always resolves the server IP itself, and disregards what IP the
client has found when running as a transparent proxy. Therefore I see no
use of including the server IP in the cache key.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker