Re: Squid Problem

From: Dancer <dancer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 1999 17:52:39 +1000

Lukman Wiryahadi Kusuma wrote:

> Dear Dancer,
>
> My machine stop..just stop without any reason. It is hang ..not halted or
> rebooted.
> I can't don anything except reset it..(not ctrl-alt-del, because the keyboard
> doesn't respond anymore).
> I try to start the system again, and then run the SQUID..work for a few
> minutes and then hang again.
>
> I tried this several times..and I got the same result. I stuck here.
> I suspect it caused by SQUID...and I am right, I restart the system without
> SQUID proxy. It runs properly until now..

Okay. I can guarantee you now that it is not squid, but that it is a
problem with your machine (either the operating system & drivers, or the
hardware). Squid may be tickling something that is causing the problem
to occur more often than it might happen otherwise, but something _is_
deeply wrong with your machine. User-mode processes should NOT be able
to utterly destroy your kernel.

I would take steps to check out each of your machine subsystems. Try
working the disk-system quite hard, then run a memory test, and a heavy
network load test. I'd lay good odds that one of these will kill your
machine, based on what you've said. It could be that a card is a little
marginal (I had much the same symptoms with a machine years ago, that
turned out to be a loose IDE controller. Any hardware [memory, network
card, video card, drive-controller, drives] that is a little marginal
can cause your machine to do this. It should be impossible (not
necessarily is, but should be) for software to do this to you under any
circumstances, unless your kernel is deeply buggy.