Problem with access lists

From: Russel H. Ingram <ringram@dont-contact.us>
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 1999 13:04:47 -0600 (MDT)

We run squid as our proxy here at my library for the public terminals. A
lot of what those terminals get used for is to check email from web-based
email accounts like hotmail and snap. Recently one of the users that has
snap mail complained that he got an error message every time he tried to
access email. Here is the error message:

ERROR

While trying to retrieve the URL:
http://ad.doubleclick.net/adj/emailcom.snap.com/snap.ISERROR;sz=100x290;;type=brick1;
num=12345;abr=!ie;

The following error was encountered:

- Invalid URL

Some aspect of the requested URL is incorrect. Possible problems:

- Missing or incorrect access protocol (should be 'http://" or similar)
- Missing hostname
- Illegal double-escape in the URL-Path
- Illegal character in hostname; underscores are not allowed

I can't seem to find an acl that will allow this address through. I have
even tried leaving the proxy wide open with:

acl allsrc src 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0
acl alldst dst 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0
http_access allow allsrc
http_access allow alldst
icp_access allow allsrc
miss_access allow allsrc

That didn't work either. Has anyone else experienced this with snap.com
and, more importantly, does anyone have a solution?

Thanx,
Russ

Russel Ingram
Network Manager