Re: starting stopping squid 2.2S3

From: Dancer <dancer@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1999 00:18:00 +1000

Richard van Drimmelen wrote:

> Dear,

Sweetie :)

> Try to stop squid:
> squid -k shutdown
> squid -k interrupt
> squid -k kill
>
> All three give me the same error:
> squid: ERROR: No running copy

You need to make sure that pid_filename (in your squid.conf) is set to a
pathname that squid can read and write under it's working uid. The
process id is written there, so that the -k commands know which
process-id to apply the commands to.

> (also the same message from all other "squid -k option" commands)
>
> What I understood from emails from Hendrik is that the Runcache is no
> longer needed.
> What is the correct way to shutdown the proxy server from a script (in

squid -k shutdown should work (assuming that pid_filename is set
properly. Although it's best if you then subsequently wait for it to
finish doing so by checking it's process-id periodically...otherwise you
could end up shutting down before squid's finished cleaning up.