Re: Password file

From: Clifton Royston <cliftonr@dont-contact.us>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 10:27:52 -1000 (HST)

Kunal H. Parikh writes:
> Hi !
>
> The moment I start using /etc/passwd, it'll start giving users access to
> POP / telnet / FTP facilities on the server.
>
> And extra smart people would try hacking and stuff !!!
[...]
> On Thu, 1 Jul 1999, Steven Fletcher wrote:
> > On Thu, 1 Jul 1999 18:42:58 +0530 (IST), you wrote:
> >
> > >I am using /etc/password to authenticate users on my system.
> > >
> > >This is a major security risk.
> >
> > Why? /etc/master.password and the spwd.db are the ones that need
> > worrying about, and they can't be read by normal users anyway.

IMHO when people write about "using /etc/password", usually that either
means their system doesn't implement shadow passwords, or it's a
shorthand for "using /etc/password together with the standard system
calls to authenticate user passwords against the shadow password
database." (Otherwise, they're not authenticating via passwords at
all...)

> > Please explain why it's a security risk in your opinion.

It's not the same level of vulnerability as exposing an encrypted
password file to crack attempts, but still significant:

Web servers don't normally provide rate-limiting code on password
attempts, unlike telnet/ssh/FTP logins. This allows impersonation of a
browser to hammer on the web server via brute-force and (e.g.) try out
all 3-letter passwords for a set of known usernames. (This is bad if
successful, and still an effective denial-of-service if unsuccessful.)

Another issue is that using the main user password file makes the
break-in more valuable. If it gives access not only to the web proxy,
but to FTP/telnet/etc. then a cracked password is more valuable to a
cracker as providing a temporary warez trading point, a less-traceable
staging ground for attacks on other systems, a foothold inside a
network firewall, etc. By reducing the payoff for success, you make
break-in attempts much less likely.

In general, it's better to use a totally separate set of passwords for
web-based authentication, just in principle.

HTH

> > try the Kerberos/YP domain auth systems instead.

Kerberos is good.

  -- Clifton

--
 Clifton Royston  --  LavaNet Systems Architect --  cliftonr@lava.net
        "An absolute monarch would be absolutely wise and good.