Re: I need to put a WebSense proxy as a parent of a squid proxy, poss

From: dave <dave@dont-contact.us>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 1999 17:25:45 -0400

Responding To: "Fernando Medina Jr." <fmedina1@dla.co.cr>
Original Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1999 10:33:56 -0500

We set up people's browser to point at the proxy on different ports like:

http://squid.yourdomain.com 8080
https://squid.yourdomain.com 8443
ftp://squid.yourdomain.com 8021

In DNS you need to add a different name for each supported protocal:

http-filter.yourdomain.com
ssl-filter.yourdomain.com
ftp-filter.yourdomain.com

all are cnames for filter.yourdomain.com A (filter is the websense box)

in the squid.conf (2.X version)

# TAG: cache_peer_access
# Similar to 'cache_peer_domain' but provides more flexibility by
# using ACL elements.
#
# cache_peer_access cache-host allow|deny [!]aclname ...
#
# The syntax is identical to 'http_access' and the other lists of
# ACL elements. See the comments for 'http_access' below, or
# the Squid FAQ (http://squid.nlanr.net/Squid/FAQ/FAQ-10.html).

cache_peer_access http-filter.yourdomain.com allow http
cache_peer_access ftp-filter.yourdomain.com allow ftp
cache_peer_access ssl-filter.yourdomain.com allow ssl

I hope that helps. It works great for us.

dave@mva.net