Re: Going direct if parent proxy is down

From: assa <assa@dont-contact.us>
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 1999 23:11:34 +0800

Hello Again :-)

As far as I know and from what I've seen when starting using 2.2 S3
version, if I set the "prefer_direct on", our proxy machines will be going
direct if all icp or non-icp parents proxy has been found death.

I use these kind of settings :

cache_peer proxy1 parent 3128 3130 round-robin #for icp parent
cache_peer proxy2 parent 8080 0 round-robin no-query #for non-icp parent
prefer_direct on

So when proxy1 was detected death or timeout by squid, squid will pass the
request through proxy2 and if proxy2 also death/timeout then squid will
pass all request directly to the requested site.

If you must use parent for handling all request, just set :
prefer_direct off

I guess you should using more than 2 parents for example by joining some of
NLANR Proxies (they have 9 big proxy machines)
http://www.ircache.net/Cache/joining.html, so your proxy will never miss
the request, since all NLANR proxies will never 'death' in the same time...
I guess.... :-)

At least that's what I know on how does squid works and it does helping our
proxy machines serving our users better than ever... :-)

|assa|
http://proxy.wasantara.com