Re: Squids memory cache (cache_mem setting)

From: Henrik Nordstrom <hno@dont-contact.us>
Date: Sun, 11 Jul 1999 18:59:08 +0200

Hossam El-Ashkar wrote:

> Is this applicable to Solaris too?? Or just for Linux on ext2 file
> system?? I am having a 1GB RAM machine. Won't increasing cache_mem be
> profitable??

Squid sometimes makes a very sub-optimal use of it's assigned cache_mem
memory. Chances are quite good that the filesystem buffers provide a
better memory cache hit ratio than Squids cache_mem. Only way to tell
for sure is by measuring the CPU usage and amount of physical disk read
ops on your server in different configurations (providing that the usage
is close to identical).

Maybe someone will find it interesting to implement a useful memory
cache in Squid someday, then using a larger cache_mem would for sure be
beneficial in both memory hit rate and CPU usage.

--
Henrik Nordstrom
Spare time Squid hacker